Advice & information for householders
We provide advice and information on a wide range of energy saving topics
We help people understand all about different forms of insulation, how to get the most out of the heating in their homes, as well as help understanding their energy bills.
The topics below are just some of the things we currently advise people about. We are adding to the advice pages on this website all the time, so if you can’t see the information you are looking for now chances are we’ll be adding a page about it in the near future. Feel free to contact us about any energy saving topics you think we should include.
Also check our ‘About renewable energy’ section for information about domestic renewable energy technologies, related offers and tariffs.
Home energy use
Insulation and ventilation
- Loft insulation
- Cavity wall insulation
- Hard-to-treat cavity walls
- Solid wall insulation - external
- Solid wall insulation - internal
- Underfloor insulation
- Energy efficient (double) glazing
- Secondary glazing
- DIY draught-proofing
- Damp & condensation
- High performance external doors
- Mechanical ventilation with heat recovery
- Converting the loft: insulation and ventilation
Your energy supply
- How much electricity am I using?
- Reading your gas or electricity meter
- Understanding your electricity bill
- Understanding your gas bill
- Buying domestic heating oil
- Warm Home Discount
- Smart Meters
- Getting the best from your energy supplier
Heating and hot water
- Central heating controls
- Hot water cylinder insulation
- Showerheads and hot taps
- Economy 7
- Night storage heaters
- Room heaters
- Underfloor heating
- Upgrading your boiler
Translate this page
Need more help?
We can advise you about saving energy, or help you understand what grants and support you're eligible for:
Need advice about saving energy? Want help with grants and support?
Send us a message and one of the team will get back to you as soon as we can*:
* We aim to respond to your enquiry within two working days.
How we can help
Find out how we can help you with:
Sign up for our newsletter
Receive our quarterly e-newsletter for advice on saving energy, and grants and support in Bristol and Somerset.
Read the latest newsletter here.