Advice & information for householders
We provide advice and information on a wide range of energy saving topics
We help people understand all about different forms of insulation, how to get the most out of the heating in their homes, as well as help understanding their energy bills.
The topics below are just some of those we currently advise people about. If you think there's anything we've missed, let us know!
Your energy supply
- Prepayment meters
- Getting the best from your energy supplier
- How much electricity am I using?
- Reading your gas or electricity meter
- Understanding your gas or electricity bill
- Priority Services Register
- Warm Home Discount
- Buying domestic heating oil
- Energy monitors
- Smart Meters
Insulation and ventilation
- Loft insulation
- Converting the loft: insulation & ventilation
- Cavity wall insulation
- Hard-to-treat cavity walls
- Solid wall insulation - external
- Solid wall insulation - internal
- Underfloor insulation
- Energy efficient (double) glazing
- Secondary glazing
- DIY draught-proofing
- Damp, condensation & mould
- Mechanical ventilation with heat recovery
- High performance external doors
Heating and hot water
- Central heating controls
- Hot water cylinders
- Showerheads and hot taps
- Economy 7
- Night storage heaters
- Room heaters
- Underfloor heating
- Upgrading your boiler
- Cold homes and health
- Smarter driving
- Older homes
- Easy Read
- Advice leaflets in other languages (Arabic, Polish, Somali, Welsh)
Check our ‘About renewable energy’ section for information about domestic renewable energy technologies.
Translate this page
Need more help?
We can advise you about saving energy, or help you understand what grants and support you're eligible for:
Need advice about saving energy? Want help with grants and support?
Send us a message and one of the team will get back to you as soon as we can*:
* We aim to respond to your enquiry within two working days.
How we can help
Find out how we can help you with:
Sign up for our newsletter
Receive our quarterly e-newsletter for advice on saving energy, and grants and support in Bristol and Somerset.
Read the latest newsletter here.