Somerset Energy Advice volunteer
Bridgewater, Taunton, Wellington, Burnham on Sea, Highbridge, Chard, Minehead, Dulverton, Yeovil and Wincanton.
Are you looking for a rewarding volunteering role that involves talking to people, getting out and about in the community and giving practical energy saving advice?
With energy and cost-of-living prices still sky-high, more people than ever are suffering in freezing homes this winter.
Safe and Warm Somerset is a free advice service dedicated to helping people in Somerset stay warm and healthy in their homes. We’re looking for volunteers to join our team.
We’ll give you full training and lots of opportunities to connect with other volunteers.
What does the role involve?
- You’ll run a monthly stall in the community, giving face to face energy advice. This could include talking to people about their energy bills, how to save energy at home, how to work their heating controls or even energy saving home improvements like insulation in their property (no previous experience or knowledge needed – we’ll give you excellent training).
- Signpost residents who may need more in-depth support from our team.
- Managing resources like information leaflets to distribute at the stall.
- Providing updates to project staff about how the stall is going, including providing rough numbers of people spoken to.
What skills are we looking for?
If you …
- Find it easy to chat to people of all different ages and backgrounds.
- Have good attention to detail and can record someone’s details carefully and accurately.
- Have an interest in helping people lower their bills and stay warm, while also reducing their carbon footprint.
- Are confident, friendly, and able to work independently.
- Are reliable and committed to attending events.
… then this role is for you!
You don’t need any existing experience giving energy advice. We’ll give you comprehensive training and you’ll be supported to set up your stall, working alongside one of our experienced caseworkers to begin with. As you feel more confident you will take over running of the stall yourself.
We’re looking for at least one volunteer to run a monthly stall in each of the following locations: Bridgewater, Taunton, Wellington, Burnham on Sea, Highbridge, Chard, Minehead, Dulverton, Yeovil and Wincanton. If you’re interested in doing more than one stall, please let us know.
Our training and support package:
- We’ll offer both on-the-job and formal training, including an opportunity to undertake a City and Guilds Energy Awareness qualification.
- Invites to CSE Volunteer trainings and socials.
- Opportunity to join CSE staff seminars or meetings appropriate to the work you are doing.
- Travel expenses paid and subsistence paid for a full day of volunteering.
About Safe and Warm Somerset
Safe and Warm Somerset is a project funded by Somerset Council and the Somerset Community Foundation and run by the Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE). The project aims to help people stay warm and healthy in their homes, lower their fuel bills and reduce their impact on the environment. Individuals who are struggling with their energy bills may find it hard to access our online or telephone advice services, so in-person advice is vital to the work we do.