For energy saving advice and support
in the Bristol and Somerset area:
0800 082 2234

SSEN Energy Advisor Programme: how we help

CSE is an energy advice charity with over 20 years’ experience supporting vulnerable people at risk of fuel poverty. We offer free, impartial advice and support.

We accept referrals both directly from people who would benefit from our support and also from professionals who wish to refer their clients.

If any of these apply to you or your client, we can help:

  • I struggle to afford my gas or electricity bills
  • I owe money to my gas or electricity supplier.
  • My house is cold, damp or draughty.
  • I only heat part of my home.
  • I’m not sure how to use my heating system or find it confusing.
  • My boiler is broken.
  • I’m interested in getting funding to upgrade my heating system.

If you want to refer yourself, fill in the form on this page.

If you want to refer your client, use the form on this page.

If you have any queries, contact our advice line by phone (0800 038 6345, weekdays, 9am-5pm), or email

This is a joint project between CSE and Scottish & Southern Electricity Networks. SSEN are a District Network Operator – responsible for maintaining the electricity networks supplying homes and businesses across central southern England. The project offers support to anyone in SSEN’s Southern area, no matter who they buy their electricity or gas from. 

The map below shows which area this covers.

Cold homes can lead to poor health. People with existing health problems such as cardiovascular or respiratory conditions are particularly at risk, but so are those with mobility difficulties, disabilities or mental health conditions, babies and children under 5, elderly people and pregnant women.

Our free, impartial advice and support includes:

  • How to heat your home for less.
  • How to make your home warmer and less damp.
  • Managing energy debt and getting the financial support you’re entitled to.
  • Finding schemes to pay for insulation, boiler repair and new heating systems.

Priority Services Register

If you live in the green or blue areas, we can sign you up to your local priority services register if you're over 60 or you rely on electricity for medical or mobility reasons or you have a hearing or visual impairment or a long-term health condition.

Click here for details.