In the UK we are facing two big problems: rising energy prices and the urgent need to reduce carbon emissions if we’re to reach net zero by 2050. Improving our housing energy performance, through home retrofit, is one of the best solutions to both these issues.
CSE’s Futureproof project helps deliver successful home retrofit work. It does this by stimulating local supply and demand for low-carbon retrofit in the South West of England by providing homeowners with bespoke retrofit advice and connecting them with skilled building contractors.
Our vision is for this kind of work to become the straightforward, natural choice for any building work done on our homes.
Previous analysis by CSE established that there are homeowners who are ready to make low-carbon improvements on their homes. However, they are less likely to act without the advice they need and a contractor they can trust. In addition, decent local builders are usually busy already and have enough work without low-carbon projects.
Futureproof addresses these issues by giving homeowners tailored support and connecting them with a highly skilled network of contractors, to ensure successful completion of the job. Project partner, The Green Register, provides training to local contractors to deliver sustainable retrofit.
The project includes:
- Green Open Homes demonstrations enable homeowners to learn from and be inspired by real examples of low-carbon home measures. We’ve organised in-person and online events and recordings including home retrofit case studies presented by the homeowners, are available on CSE’s YouTube channel here. CSE also manages the Green Open Homes website, which supports these types of events across the country.
- Tailored support helps overcome the barriers between homeowners and builders. We offer a telephone advice service, site visits and property audits to support homeowners in making good decisions, appropriate for their property and circumstances.
- Quality control and assurance gives confidence to customers in the work being undertaken, and to contractors in the techniques and materials they are using.
- Training and skills development is being delivered by project partner, The Green Register, to equip local firms with the skills and knowledge to deliver high-quality work based on key sustainable construction principles and impartial training from a range of experts.
For homeowners, Futureproof offers:
- A partner to support you throughout the process, giving you confidence that you’re making the right choices for you and your home. Whether that’s the type of measures to install, contractor to use or which quotes to proceed with.
- Connection with a network of highly skilled contractors through supportive, trained advisors, as well as help managing the ongoing relationship.
- The opportunity to improve your home, making it warmer, more comfortable and cheaper to run, with benefits to wider society and the environment.
- Quality assurance that the work on your home is being done to a high standard with appropriate materials and techniques.
- The chance to see what has been done before in a home just like yours and meet other homeowners with similar experiences.
For the building trade
For local contractors, builders and trades, Futureproof offers a valuable opportunity to:
- Shape and expand your service offering in line with the future market, one with increasing demand for energy efficiency measures and higher standards for energy saving technology and skills.
- Connect with appreciative, well-informed customers, with high-value projects, through a supportive network of trained advisors.
- Prepare your business and skills to adapt to future regulatory changes with ease.
- Signal to customers that you hold your work to a higher standard, giving them confidence in your work.
- Take pride in refining your craft by developing knowledge and skills with long-term value.
- Attract more creative and satisfying work that not only benefits your customers and business, but wider society and the environment.
- Speak to others in the industry, sharing experience and best practices.