Volunteer with us
Our volunteers help us tackle the climate emergency and end the suffering caused by cold homes.
Our volunteers – we currently have about 80 – help us reach different communities and enrich our energy advice. Volunteers are crucial to our work, particularly with people in cold homes.
As a CSE volunteer you could come to our Bristol office or support at events in your own community. We currently work with volunteers in Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset and Wiltshire.
Our amazing volunteers are people who have an interest in the environment, green homes or supporting vulnerable members of their community. We have volunteers who’ve built their own eco-home, some who are studying, and others who are looking for office experience to get back into work. Read Louisa’s volunteering story here.
No matter your knowledge or experience – we want to hear from anyone who shares our passion for tackling the climate emergency and reducing the suffering caused by cold homes.
How you can make a difference
Volunteering with CSE is flexible. We will do our best to match up your interests and experience with our suitable opportunities. Here are just some options:
- Join our Bristol office team. We’ve got a wide range of tasks you can get stuck into, from making packs, data entry, telephone calls, online research and supporting fundraising bids.
- Be part of an events team. We attend events of all types and sizes where we meet the public and provide energy advice. You could help run an information stand, give energy advice to people at drop in sessions, or even give presentations to community groups.
- Accompany an advisor on a home visit. You can be matched with a CSE energy advisor, and together you’ll visit people at home supporting them to make meaningful changes to make their home warmer.
Please note that the large majority of volunteering opportunities take place withing working hours and there is limited weekend and evening volunteering.
In the video below, one of our volunteers, Jan, uses her training to help carry out a home visit:
How we’ll support you
We’ll make sure you get the right training for the volunteering jobs you want to do.
This could include:
- Our Energy Essentials training, which covers the basics of giving energy advice.
- Access to our latest best practice advice on helping people manage their bills.
- Links with our experts on topics from fuel debt to retrofit.
- Staff support in the office or at events while you’re getting to grips with the tasks.
What’s in it for you …
We offer dedicated volunteers the opportunity to complete a funded City & Guilds qualification into Energy Awareness. We also host regular training and social events so there’s lots of opportunities to meet like-minded and enthusiastic people, in addition to those you’re working with.