Advice and support for householders
Here’s how our home energy team can help...
16 April 2020
Our home energy advice service has been steadily expanding over the years. In fact the team has doubled in size since 2013, with 33 advisors and case workers now providing a wide variety of services.
With even more areas of support being offered in response to the Covid-19 crisis, it seemed useful to take stock and summarise what it is we can help people with.
If you’d rather not read the full list, here's a video of caseworker Liz explaining the advice & support our team can offer people struggling with their energy use & bills during the current crisis.
How can the home energy team help?
We give free, impartial, energy saving advice to people in Bristol, Dorset, North Somerset, Somerset and Wiltshire, so they can stay warm and reduce their energy bills.
We can refer you to other agencies to ensure you receive specialised support with everything from housing to welfare rights.
We work closely with Citizens Advice, Age UK, Talking Money, Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, Evolve Home Energy Solutions, We Care (Home Improvements), NHS trusts and hospitals, as well as local councils across our area. If you don't live in the area we cover, but you need some help with energy issues, you can contact your local council.
How can you access our services?
1. You can call us.
Our freephone advice line is open Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm. We have different phone numbers depending on which part of our area you live in or who your energy supplier is.
- If you are in Bristol, North Somerset and county of Somerset: call 0800 082 2234
- Bath & North East Somerset: call 0800 038 5680
- Dorset: call 0300 003 7023
- Wiltshire: call 0800 038 5722
- Ovo Energy customers: call 0800 038 5688
- Boost customers: 0800 038 5688
- Lumo customers: 0800 038 5730
2. Fill out a contact form and we'll give you a call back.
- You can submit a general enquiry or request a call back here.
- Or fill in this form if you would like advice or support about Covid-19 related topics (see the list below).
3. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What kind of topics can we help with?
We offer phone advice on a wide range of energy-related topics, from bill or debt problems to suitable insulation, heating and solar panels. These are just some of the topics we currently advise people about:
- Anything to do with your energy supply, such as switching energy supplier, how to save electricity, prepayment meters, reading your gas or electricity meter, understanding your fuel bills, accessing priority services during power cuts, smart meters, accessing discounts and support payments.
- Insulation, draft proofing and ventilation, including funding sources and grants.
- Heating and hot water, including how to use central heating controls, economy 7 tariffs, using night storage heaters, room heaters, upgrading your boiler, cold homes and health.
We’ve also expanded our advice during the Covid-19 crisis to support our clients with:
- Health-related energy advice, including how to keeping warm at home, using energy efficiently, thermostats, heating controls, ventilation.
- Special advice for Economy 7 customers who may be using a lot more electricity during the high tariff day period.
- Latest advice for maintaining and paying for energy during the crisis, including support with topping up prepayment meters, and supplier offers to support with paying bills, or placing payments on hold.
- We’ll check how you’re feeling and coping and signpost you to NHS services if needed.
- Loneliness and isolation advice, identification and referral to local community response teams, volunteer remote befrienders, etc.
- Revised benefits advice, including offering support to people who have lost employment due to the crisis and need help applying for new government support.
- Signposting to support services for food and prescriptions, including online shopping bookings, priority shopping hours for vulnerable people and food bank support for people in severe need.
- General advice for offline households who need support to access information.
And if you’re not after specific support, but looking for ways to save energy, reduce your bills and stay warm and safe at home, check out our dedicated Home Energy Advice site for lots of information, resources, factsheets and videos.