For energy saving advice and support
in the Bristol and Somerset area:
0800 082 2234

Green Homes Grants

The Green Homes Grant Scheme

This page is updated as further information is published about the scheme.

To apply for the Green Home Grant click here

What are the Green Homes Grants?

The Government's Green Homes Grants will help hundreds of thousands of homeowners with vouchers to cover the cost of energy-saving home improvements - from low carbon heating systems and renewables, to insulation improvements or draughtproofing.

Through the grants, the Government will pay for at least two-thirds of the cost of the work – the Treasury says a homeowner installing cavity wall and floor insulation costing £4,000 would only pay about £1,320, with the Government contributing the remaining £2,680. Low income households will be eligible to have full costs covered, up to the value of £10,000.

Who can get one? 

For the general scheme, the following properties are eligible:

  • All owner-occupied homes (including long-leaseholders, shared ownership) 
  • Landlords of private rented sector domestic properties 
  • Landlords of social sector domestic properties (including LA owned homes) 
  • Park home owners (for residential sites including Gypsy and Traveller sites) 

New-build domestic properties and non-domestic properties are not eligible. 

Who is eligibile for the low income scheme? 

For the low-income scheme, only owner-occupied properties and park homes are eligible. Households receiving at least one of the following benefits will qualify for the Green Home Grants low-income scheme:

  • Income based Jobseekers allowance (JSA)
  • Income based Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Pension Guarantee Credit
  • Working Tax Credit (WTC)
  • Child Tax Credits (CTC)•Universal Credit (UC)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Contribution based Jobseekers allowance (JSA)
  • Contribution based Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing benefit 

When and how can I apply?

The scheme will launch in September and will work via online applications for recommended energy efficiency measures, along with details of accredited local suppliers.

Later this month, homeowners across England will be able to access advice and support on improving the energy efficiency of their homes from the Simple Energy Advice (SEA) service. SEA will suggest appropriate home improvements that homeowners may be able to apply for support in funding. You can also speak to one of our energy advisors who can help you decide what improvements are suitable and what installers are available.

Households will be offered a list of approved TrustMark and MCS registered tradespeople in their local area to carry out the work. Once the works are agreed, vouchers will start to be issued from the end of September so work can commence.

What measures are eligible? 

The available measures are split into “primary” and “secondary” categories. Households will need to install at least one of the primary measure below to qualify for funding - only if there is at least one primary measure in the package of works, will households also be able to install secondary measures.

Primary Measures

  • Insulation: Solid wall, cavity wall, under-floor, loft, flat roof, room in roof, park home.
  • Low carbon heat: Air source heat pump, ground source heat pump, solar thermal. 
  • “Top ups” are allowed: such as additional loft insulation up to the recommended level, solid wall insulation for other walls where a wall has been previously insulated, but replacements are not included.

Secondary Measures

Secondary measures can only be subsidised up to the amount of subsidy provided for primary measures. For example, if a household receives £1,000 for primary measures, they can only receive a maximum of £1,000 towards secondary measures. The secondary measures are:

  • Draught proofing
  • Windows and doors: Double/triple glazing (where replacing single glazing), secondary glazing (in addition to single glazing), upgrading to energy efficient doors (where replacing doors installed prior to 2002). 
  • Heating controls and insulation: appliance thermostats, hot water tank thermostats, hot water tank insulation, smart heating controls, zone controls, delayed start thermostat, thermostatic radiator valves 

For low-carbon heating to be installed, households will need to have adequate insulation (e.g. wall and loft, where applicable). These can be installed as part of a package – they do not have to already be in situ.

Is there a minimum installation cost for a primary measure before secondary measures will be available? 

Secondary measures can only be subsided up to the amount of subsidy provided for primary measures. For example, if a household receives £500 for loft insulation as a primary measure, they can only receive a maximum of £500 towards a secondary measure.

How do you find an installer? 

For energy efficiency, measures will need to be installed by a Trustmark-accredited installer to qualify for funding and installations will need to be PAS 2030-compliant. 

For heat measures, to be eligible the installation contractor must be MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) certified (and Trustmark registered), use MCS certified products, and undertake the installations according to the relevant MCS installation standard for that technology.

Households will be offered a list of approved TrustMark and MCS registered tradespeople in their local area to carry out the work. This will most likely be throught the Simple Energy Advice (SEA) service, but more information will be published on this soon.

Priority Services Register

If you live in the green or blue areas, we can sign you up to your local priority services register if you're over 60 or you rely on electricity for medical or mobility reasons or you have a hearing or visual impairment or a long-term health condition.

Click here for details.

Need more help?

Depending on where you live and who you buy your energy from, we can help you with grants and support.

Contact us

Need advice about saving energy? Want help with grants and support?

Send us a message and one of the team will get back to you as soon as we can*:

Data Protection: The information you provide on this form will be used by the Centre for Sustainable Energy to contact you in order to give you impartial energy advice. If you’d like to know more about how we use this data please see our privacy information.

* We aim to respond to your enquiry within two working days.