For energy saving advice and support
in the Bristol and Somerset area:
0800 082 2234

Ask your housing provider...

Are you a council or housing association tenant? If so, you might be able to make some energy saving home improvements if you get your housing provider's permission.

Ask your housing provider first

If they agree, you can make some of these improvements yourself:

  • Fit some draught-proofing. DIY draught-proofing of windows, doors and blocking cracks in floors and skirting boards could cost up to £115, but could save £55 on heating bills each year, so it’ll take about two years to get your money back.

  • Fit an insulating jacket on your hot water tank. This is a cheap step that can make a big difference to bills. It will pay for itself over one winter.
  • Insulate your hot water pipes.
  • Insulate your loft. This can be a DIY job if you get some good instructions.
  • Fit shelves above radiators to direct heat into the room.
  • Fit an eco-showerhead, which reduces the amount of water your shower uses (without you noticing). They can cost as little as £15 to buy, but a family of four could save around £75 a year on gas for water heating, as well as a further £90 on water bills.

Things your housing provider will do

Your council or housing association will probably carry out improvements like insulation, new windows or new heating systems to lots of their properties at once. This means they might say no to doing something straight away, as they’re already planning to do it in the future.

The sorts of things they might do to lots of homes at once are:

  • Fit new, better heating systems, like new boilers, heaters, thermostats or radiator controls. 
  • Fit secondary glazing or double glazing, to stop your windows letting so much heat out. 
  • Insulate your walls, making your home warmer and cheaper to heat.

There's more you can do...

There are lots of simple things you can do to save energy and money and keep warm, without having to make changes to your home. Check out this page for lots of tips.

Covid-19: How we can help you during the crisis

Contact us if you live in South West England and would like advice on:

Topping up your prepayment meter  water & energy bills switching supplier benefits housing food banks & food delivery prescriptions befriending services debt ...

Complete the referral form

How we can help

Find out how we can help you with:

Need more help?

Depending on where you live and who you buy your energy from, we can help you with grants and support.

Contact us

Need advice about saving energy? Want help with grants and support?

Send us a message and one of the team will get back to you as soon as we can*:

Data Protection: The information you provide on this form will be used by the Centre for Sustainable Energy to contact you in order to give you impartial energy advice. If you’d like to know more about how we use this data please see our privacy information.

* We aim to respond to your enquiry within two working days.