CSE works with planning officers and elected councillors as well as communities to put sustainable energy at the top of the local planning agenda. This includes:
- Training for planners and councillors in renewable energy
- Helping local authorities' develop planning policies for inclusion in their local development frameworks
- Drawing up guidance for what energy efficiency alterations can be made to listed buildings without damaging the historical fabric of the property
- Providing expert help on how to win the support of communities in low-carbon developments
Between 2006 and 2013 we managed a website (now closed) which included a renewable energy resource bank for planners assessing planning applications for large developments such as wind farms. You can read more about it here.
Our work with communities helps them to engage with the planning system in order to shape local planning policy to make it more sustainable. See in particular our flagship project, PlanLoCaL.
You can download our planning capability statement here.
The video embeded on this page features CSE's James Watt detailing the sort of support CSE offers to local authorities and other local planning consultations.
We bring skills and experience in:
- Planning policy
- Renewable energy resource mapping
- Community engagement
- Renewable energy technologies
Some of our planning clients:
DECC | CLG | Bath & North East Somerset Council | Bristol City Council | Plymouth City Council | West Sussex local authorities | Teignbridge District Council | Planning Advisory Service
Relevent project profiles can accessed using the links to the right, or below:
Renewable energy workshops for councillors and planners
PlanLoCaL: scale-model brings local people to the planners' table
PlanLoCaL: building on the concept of community-led planning
PlanLoCaL: Low Carbon Bath
Planning Renewables Website
A South West Protocol for Wind Energy Developments
For PlanLoCaL we produced a suite of 47 short films on planning for community-scale renewable energy projects. One of them, 'Permits, permissions and planning' is below. All the videos can be downloaded from our Resources section here.